This library was written to interface LabVIEW applications with Beckhoff PLCs. With this library it is possible to read PLC variables through a Client connected to the PLC network using the TwinCAT Runtime.
This library is written and maintained with LabVIEW 2016.
The Client must run TwinCAT ADS Runtime. This library was tested with TwinCAT ADS Runtime 3.1.4024.10.
The run-time can be found at the following link
This library uses the .NET interface therefore it can only be used in a Windows environment.
TwinCAT ADS static route setup
Once installed the TwinCAT ADS Runtime on the Client, a static route must be set.
- Right-click on the TwinCAT sys-tray icon and select 'Router > Edit Routes'; the 'Add Route Dialog' panel pops up.
- Enter the Server (PLC) Host Name or the IP address and press 'Enter Host Name / IP:' button
- Select 'ADS_UDP' as Transport Type
- Press 'Add Route' button; the 'Add Remote Route' panel pops up.
- Enter the Server access credentials: User Name and Password. Press 'Okay' button.
- The panel 'TwinCAT Static Routes' will shows up. An 'x' in the 'Connected' field indicate a succesful connection Client <> Server.
How to use the library
Usage example is shown below.